Crazy Fox Ranch (Paige MacKenzie mystery) by Deborah Garner

Crazy Fox Ranch - Deborah Garner

I have read Deborah’s Moonglow Novellas but this is my first time reading a full Paige MacKenzie mystery, and you do not need to have read any of the previous books in order to read this as it works well as a stand alone.

Paige has left Manhattan and moved to Jackson Hole to be closer to her cowboy boyfriend Jake Norris. In the previous books their love has blossomed and she has made the decision to move closer to him and start a fresh but still do her journalism which she will freelance stories from Jackson Hole back to her old newspaper. As she starts to delve into the Hollywood connection that Jackson Hole has with old Western movies, Paige discovers much more than just a movie. When strange things start to happen at Jake’s ranch and a persistent gentleman named Percy who is very keen to buy the property despite it not being for sale, Paige gets her investigation hat on and uncovers a bigger mystery going on with regards to the ranch and Jackson Hole in a whole.

Paige discovers a series of hole on the property which Jake puts down to being a fox digging, but she discovers more dug up holes when she visits parts of Jackson Hole that were used in the movie Shane. She discovers some metallic items near some holes, surely its not the same fox digging all over the place? and if not a fox who is doing all the digging and for what reasons?

This was a good little mystery and I really enjoyed my first foray with Paige and cant wait to go back and read the previous book (i am desperate to get her connection to Mist from the Moonglow Cafe novellas)